Enjoy a fresh, homemade chicken fajita salad bowl on any warm-weather night and you instantly feel refreshed.
It could be because this yummy dish is low carb, but still so satisfying and filling.
Even without the rice!
The ingredients needed for this recipe are usually in full abundance during the warm weather months allowing you to enjoy fresh peppers, herbs, and crispy salad during its peak.
Although, this popular Mexican dish can be enjoyed any time of year.
And as someone who enjoys cooking from scratch, my favorite way to prepare this meal is with a farm-fresh whole chicken from the market.
This is a personal preference though.
CHICKEN FAJITA SALAD BOWL
This chicken fajita salad bowl is made with red and yellow bell pepper, onions, chicken, and a crunchy bed of salad.
But of course, there are plenty of variations of this recipe.
You can choose to add black beans, corn, salsa, guacamole, olives, and diced tomatoes.
You can also substitute the salad for rice.
Or, you can use ground beef and make a ground beef fajita bowl instead.
CHICKEN FAJITA SALAD BOWL SEASONINGS
There is prepackaged fajita seasoning you can purchase from the grocery store.
But, if you don’t have any on hand (like I didn’t) using a combination of seasonings will work just fine.
In a small bowl combine a seasoning mixture of the following:
And any other fajita seasonings you like
The more you make this chicken fajita dish, the more you will figure out the seasonings mixture that your family enjoys best.
Don’t worry so much about measurements.
But focus more on taste.
HOW DO YOU MAKE A CHICKEN FAJITA SALAD BOWL?
The base of any delicious Mexican chicken fajita bowl starts with the freshest chicken your budget allows.
I love stocking the deep freezer with several fresh farm whole chickens from the market to use in recipes that call for chicken.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Place the whole chicken in a cast iron pan and cover with seasonings on top, bottom, and inside.
Place seasoned chicken in the oven and allow to brown on top, then turn the chicken over and allow to brown on the bottom as well. This may take about 20 minutes on each side.
After browning both sides of the chicken, cover with aluminum foil and allow to bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes.
The total baking time will depend on the size of your chicken.
Chop and slice red peppers, yellow peppers, and onions. You can always add any other vegetables you enjoy to fajitas. This is a personal preference.
Season sliced vegetables with salt, pepper, and fresh garlic.
Saute’ until tender. (Be careful not to overcook.)
Once the chicken is done, shred the chicken into a bowl on top of a bed of lettuce.
Add in the sauteed vegetables.
Use half of the lime and squeeze fresh lime juice over all the ingredients in the bowl.
Top with freshly grated cheese. (You can tell from the photo that we like cheese in this dish)
Add a side of sour cream.
WHAT CAN I SERVE WITH CHICKEN FAJITA SALAD BOWLS?
This fajita salad bowl is extremely filling as a main course meal.
But, a side of tortillas and salsa is a great combination as well.
You can also try adding black beans to your chicken fajita salad bowl for more filling and protein.
A baked potato or fries are also fun to enjoy with this meal as well!
Chicken Fajita Salad BowlCuisine: Mexican
Enjoy this fresh, homemade chicken fajita salad bowl.
Fresh whole chicken
Seasonings for chicken
-Or store brought fajita seasoning
Freshly grated cheese of your choice
Half of lime
- Combine seasonings into a small bowl. Make sure to add garlic, parsley, and rosemary.
- Season the entire chicken from top to bottom including the inside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the chicken in a cast iron pan and brown the top of the chicken for 15-20 mins
- Flip chicken over and brown the bottom of the chicken for 15-20 mins.
- Once browning is complete, cover the chicken in a pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Chop onions and peppers into thin slices.
- Tossed chopped onions and vegetables in a lightly greased skillet over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper and sauté until vegetables are tender, but not overcooked.
- Shred the chicken off the bone, and add to sautéed vegetables.
- In a large bowl add a generous layer of lettuce.
- Add in the combination of chicken and vegetables.
- Using a half lime squeeze fresh lime juice on top of the chicken and vegetable.
- Add a top layer of freshly grated cheese.
- On the side add a large scoop of sour cream.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
How To Make Sourdough Starter For Fermented Bread and Baking
Health Benefits of Cooking From Scratch